Tuesday, May 29, 2007

Snowflake and Applesauce






We have our two steers for the year. I was on the phone with my mom and working on a scrappy winter project when she asked to speak with Morgan. She asked Morgan what the cow's name was, and Morgan said, "Snowflake". Ok. And because the other one was a fair haired lad, I named him Applesauce. I must admit, they are the cutest cows we've had yet. They aren't friendly yet, but they aren't afraid of Cooper, which is a good thing, because they are very big, and if they got fiesty and busted out of the property, there isn't much I can do if Steve isn't home. Steve said one time when he was feeding them grain, Cooper and Applesauce both had their heads in the grain bowl, munching away, and they kept butting heads and moving each other around the pan. Cute.




Now, our two little men have a great fascination with a certain blond girl. When she has her great big pink boots on and is helping daddy with the irrigation, etc., he always has to make sure to put himself between her and our bovine, because they are a might curious about our sweet lass, and always want to check her out. And she's 3, so she doesn't notice, nor does she care abut personal safety.....




I managed some photos yesterday of said bovine and our other little lamb, Payton. Applesauce was lying right next to the fence so we tried to get a photo of them together, because of course PJ is fascinated by them as well. But Applesauce didn't take kindly to the sudden onset of Fiero fam, and stood up. We just set Payton down and she toddled over to say hello, and got her little index finger within millimeters of a snotty cow nose. I did manage to get a photo of the event as I hunkered behind the composter, trying not to scare him off. Isn't he cute?






And the next one is Snowflake. He is a little lighter in color, but now that I know him better, I think he should have been called "The Donald"..... because of that trademark hairdo.

Next year we plan to fashion a little pen for a couple of piggies to raise for the summer. I warned Steve that they are like dogs and he will be sad after spending the summertime hosing them down and scratching their bellies..... but we eat sausage and might as well raise our own.... it costs less, it tastes better, and we might as well utilize the space, teach our children about responsibility, and have ourselves a regular farm!

1 Comments:

At May 29, 2007 12:31 PM, Blogger alyca said...

I totally second that hairdo comment! That was the first thing I noticed about Applesauce..

 

Post a Comment

<< Home