Sunday, March 12, 2006


Okay, this is the rough draft of my contest entry for the Scrapworks "The Colors of..." contest at the CK Convention next weekend.... the scan is bad, and it isn't lining up very well.... but I need a critique. I forwarded all the pictures on the left to Alyca to see if she could get the yello out.... I have a green arrow that I was thinking to put from the word project to the bird... it's curved, not a straight arrow... I also have some charms that say Inspire, Imagine, Create... but I'm not sure where to put them... if at all.. I might lose the chipboard photo turns and put them there...... What are your thoughts? The tab pulls out for journaling behind the bird..... What do you think? I think it needs a little tweaking.... but overall I LOVE IT. I machine stitched the branches, I sewed clouds, for subtle sky behind the bird.... I LOVE Morgan's bird.... I like the flowers.... the word project is chipboard with paper that has been sanded and then adhered with the letters..... 1st has st in rubons but this scan doesn't show that very well... one of the reasons I'm a little nervous is that this contest is live, which means the judges will be up close and personal with my layout so I won't be able to hide any flaws... I'm not hiding anything at the moment... I inked most of the edges...... So, what do you think?

9 Comments:

At March 13, 2006 7:44 AM, Blogger Davinie Fiero said...

Okay... I've already lost the photo turns and added more flowers in their stead. I'm also going to do something to bring out the word "colors" more.....

 
At March 13, 2006 7:45 AM, Blogger Davinie Fiero said...

Oh, and I added a green arrow to point from "project" to the bird...

 
At March 13, 2006 8:04 AM, Blogger Sabrina said...

Ok, I love it.

Could the charms be dangling from the tree limb? Or could they be on the corners of the smaller photos on the left?
No photo turns?

 
At March 13, 2006 8:10 AM, Blogger Davinie Fiero said...

........ I'm also going to UTEE with blue over the word colors, I think. It's like embossing, so the word will be more blue, and shiny. That should bring it out more....

And, since it's called "The colors of my 1st art project" should I have color names written somewhere, like on the flower petals or leaves?

 
At March 13, 2006 11:33 AM, Blogger alyca said...

Hmm....only critique I have is that I didn't notice the '1st' until I looked at it for awhile....any way to make that stand out a bit?? I like the idea of having the color names somewhere, but I am not sure where....and charms would be cool. Make it more dimensional...

 
At March 13, 2006 11:45 AM, Blogger Davinie Fiero said...

I'm getting color words yes, color words no.... what about if I write color names on the blue paper on the outside of the bird? I'm not sure where to put the charms... but I'm going to get some turquoise blue paint tomorrow for the word "color" and then I'm going to UTEE it to make it shiny and stand out more. I'm not too worried about 1st because I almost didn't use that word at all, and because when you are up close and personal with this layout, it stands out more... but I might turquoise paint it... what about that?

 
At March 13, 2006 12:11 PM, Blogger alyca said...

Or could you sort of mimic the three pictures on the right hand side by putting tiny horizontal strips of paper on the far left that have color names on them?? Maybe blue on a blue strip, etc, or even blue on yellow, yellow on green, etc? Not sure how this would work......Maybe hand write the names on different flower petals around the page, sort of randomly??

 
At March 13, 2006 1:40 PM, Blogger Davinie Fiero said...

What about 3 brads on the right side? Does the balance bother you Alyca? I think I like the idea of color names around the bird. Scrapworks has these itty bitty letter stickers that I wasn't sure what anyone would do with.... and I thought I'd print out color words very small, and incorporate these stickers... like write blue and use the l sticker. They match all of these papers but there aren't enough to use for the whole outline... Man. This layout is over the top! That's what they get for titling a contest with the word Color! And my bird! You have to use it!

 
At March 13, 2006 3:42 PM, Blogger alyca said...

Yeah, in my scrapbooking class one of the things they talked about was the rule of threes--the eye likes things grouped in threes. You have that on the left, I think it would help to have the brads on the right. Tie it all together. You have balance with the one larger picture and the three smaller ones, and the placement of the flower bunches, etc.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home