Monday, April 18, 2005

Babysitting

Just a quick note to share my babysitting adventure on Saturday night. Raegan came over at 7:30 so that her mom and dad could go out for a nice bite to eat and talk amongst themselves. Morgan had already been put down, so I figured it would be an easy 1 1/2 hours. Steve was at work, so it was just Raegan, the Coop, and myself. She showed up asleep, so I just left her in her car seat. Why mess up a good thing?

15 minutes later she woke up, smiling. We played for another 45 minutes with some of Morgan toys. One of them was her first baby doll, not the one she got for Christmas from G&G Fiero, but her very first one that I got her when she was 4 months, of which she has had little interest. Raegan was sitting up and I was lying behind her, using my body to support her upright. I set the baby right in front of her, and watched her face. She stared and stared at the baby's face, and then this great big smile broke out, and she started laughing. Then she grabbed the baby... and promptly stuffed her nose in her mouth. It was pretty funny. She'd pull her away and look at her, and then try and gnarl of a chunk of baby face. It was pretty cute!

Suddenly, out of nowhere, she started to get upset. I tried her binkie. No. I made her a bottle. No. I changed her diaper. No. I held her up on my shoulder. No. I turned her facing out. No. I laid her on the floor on her back. No. She flipped over. NO. We wandered the halls. No. Then I noticed she wasn't the only one crying. I waited a minute hoping Morgan would fall back to sleep....... No. By this time, Raegan has worked herself into a regular fit. Oh.... YES. We went into Morgan's room, and you could tell that Rae woke her up, and she was a bit disoriented. She had already been down for the night, so didn't even know Rae was visiting. I picked her up. Mind you, I still had R in my arms. I put M on my shoulder, and held R in the crook of my right arm, facing out. BOTH were crying. We paced for a minute, and M settled down. I set her down on the couch. R is still doing the mad cry. Then M started crying again. I picked her back up. I then set R down for a second. BOTH started doing the mad cry. Poor M isn't big enough to understand what is going on, and little R is just plain mad at me. So, I rearranged. I put M back up on my shoulder, held Rae facing out. And we paced. For 10 minutes, I packed 40+ pounds of screaming baby up and down my hall. When one would settle down, the other would be hollering, and that would make the quiet one upset again. They fed off each other. After 10 minutes, I started to laugh. I couldn't think of what else to do. Morgan would go back to sleep if I had three minutes to hold her in her room and settle her down. But Raegan was so mad at me that she was started to gag on spit bubbles, so I didn't think she'd make it 3 minutes before she got hysterical. So we paced.

In between screams Raegan would yawn, so I knew she was just tired and had gotten herself too far past the point where she could calm herself down, so I thought I would limit the stimulation and give her a moment to compose herself. I put Morgan down, she had started to calm down and notice Raegan's carseat and toys, and I picked up Raegan's blanket, and put her down in Morgan's room in her bed. I walked out and shut the door and left her for a minute. Morgan promptly ran in there, screaching "baby, baby" and when I walked back in there, Raegan had stopped crying and it looked like she might have passed out with her face in her blankie, as I know she likes. I grabbed Morgan and we walked back out. Not 30 seconds later, Morgan raced back in there, again announcing "baby, baby", and when I walked back in there and looked at her, Raegan was laying there with this big cheesy grin on her face. The STINKER! Didn't she remember what she had JUST been doing?

Since she was so happy I picked her up and went out into the living room. We all sat together for a few minutes, and then M&D Merritt showed up and I promptly handed the bab to her daddy. It was a funny experience. Good thing you can't really have kids this close together! That was kinda hard! But like Sabrina said, she knew I could handle it. Yes, that's true, but I definitely got to a point where I didn't have any other thoughts! I was TTTHHHISSSS close to calling Mazatlan, or Steve, or a neighbor. I needed an extra pair of hands for just two minutes so that I could separate the two girls and settle one of them down. But it all worked out, and there was no permanant damage. I slept like the dead that night though!

:)

4 Comments:

At April 18, 2005 2:57 PM, Blogger alyca said...

What a cute story! I am cracking up reading this. Maybe twins is not such a good idea........

 
At April 18, 2005 4:43 PM, Blogger Davinie Fiero said...

No, twins don't sound fun anymore. For 1 hour, someone was crying. Most of the time, two people were crying. I was never one of them, thank god. It was an interesting experience. :)

 
At April 18, 2005 6:34 PM, Blogger Sabrina said...

She is such a TURD!! SORRY! Really makes me re-thing Mom, and her parenting.. I mean, she had the both of them for hours at the scrapbook cinvention, and you tow older gals are close in age... not THAT close, but still! I think, though, it might be easier if the babies grow up with each other, you know? twins would be used to the sound of the other one crying, so maybe it wouldn't bother them the same... Who knows. It was SUCH a nice dinner!! but NEXT TIME, go ahead and call me as soon as it looks ugly..... I have NO PROBLEM ending the evening a little short!! I know you can handle it, but it sure doesn't sound like fun!!

 
At April 18, 2005 7:18 PM, Blogger Davinie Fiero said...

It would be different if they were sibs. Morgan was going "where the hell did you come from and why are you crying" and Raegan was saying "WHO the hell are you and where is my mama!" - It was fine and I'll do it again. Parents need a night off every once in a while. I'm sure you will return the favor sometime while we go out to eat. :)

 

Post a Comment

<< Home